Well hello there!
On behalf of the entire organization team, and all of our volunteers and speakers, I want to thank you in advance for coming to WordCamp Grand Rapids! (You did get your ticket, right?) As we draw near to WCGR I think it’s prudent to remind you what’s happening, how to find us, what you’ll need, and a quick note about social media.
We have the best sponsors…
Before I get into the event details, I really quickly want to personally thank all of our sponsors. This event literally couldn’t have happened without their generous support. So, when you get the chance, please help me thank Code Poet, Zippy Kid, Steelcase, Rocket Genius (creators of GravityForms), iThemes (creators of BackupBuddy and Builder), Connex Social, Vortala, WebDev Studios, Sticker Giant, OS Training, SoftwareGR and Mind Utopia. They’re responsible for some really great stuff, too (and I’m not saying that because they’re supporting the event, I really mean that. We went out and asked them to be sponsors because we thought what they do is so cool.)
- On Saturday, from 8-5, we will have 28 sessions broken across 4 incredible tracks (schedule)
- On Saturday, starting at 7:30pm, we have an awesome after party, and you’re invited! (where is this?)
- On Sunday, from 10-4, we’re hosting WordPress Study Hall, which is an interactive way to put your new skills to work (what’s this?)
How To Find Us (and where to park):
What you didn’t already know is the parking situation. GVSU has a number of lots surrounding the building, and metered spots are free on the weekend, but I recommend parking in either the DeVos lot or the Fulton Street lot. Both are directly behind the DeVos buildings, are literally across the street from each other, and totally free and wide-open on weekends. We’ll have some signs near the parking lot and on the grounds to point you towards the right building. But, in case you miss them (or they blow away), here’s a very detailed map so you know which building you want relative to where you’re parking
If you’re driving in from the south, US-131 sucks a bit due to construction just outside of GR. It shouldn’t slow you down on a Saturday or Sunday morning, but it’s best to pad your time 10-15min just in case. As far as I know, the rest of the ways in and around town are totally clear. If you’re coming from the airport, it’ll be an approximately $20 cab ride to get you downtown (either to one of the hotels or directly to GVSU’s campus).
What You’ll Need:
- A ticket? We’ll have a full record of everyone who has registered for the event, so if you forget your ticket we’ll have you covered. Still, it’s not a bad idea for you to have your ticket handy (either printed or on a portable device) just incase you trust technology as little as we sometimes do. Get one if you don’t have one.
- A computer or tablet? That’s up to you. We’ll have free WiFi available, and there are outlets all around because it’s a college university. You’ll definitely want your own computer for the WordPress Study Hall on Sunday, though.
- Lunch Money? Yes, we’re not providing lunch (but we’ll have coffee, juice, pop, tea and snacks and such on Saturday). You’ll also want dinner money, for that matter (but we will have appetizers at the after party). It’s Restaurant Week here in Grand Rapids, and there are a lot of really cool restaurants participating, check it out: http://restaurantweekgr.com.
- Business cards? If that’s your preferred way of sharing contact information, definitely. If you have a really cool card, I (Brian) want to see it.
- A good attitude? Definitely. Anyone coming with a bad attitude should probably stay home. You’re no fun to be around if you’re soured. We’ll do our best to put/keep you in a good mood, though. So, if you’re looking for a pick-me-up, this is a good place to start.
How about those social medias?
We’re on twitter! If that’s you’re thing, you should follow us: @WCGrandRapids. We’ll be tweeting throughout the weekend using the hashtag #wcgr, and you should too. It’s a great way to share what’s happening in the session you’re in, and a great way to follow along with sessions you can’t attend. We’ve also made a handy list of all our speakers and our sponsors.
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!